Followers

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Guest Designer Jen Leeflang

Welcome to our second installment of guest designers. These designers are a select few that do wonders with Rick’s images. Their work catches our eye, we ask is they would like to be one of our guest designers. If they say yes, Rick will come up with an amazing illustration for them to create with.

We would like to introduce to you to our second Guest Designer Jen Leeflang. Her coloring and highlighting is what caught our eye. I hope you enjoy this interview.


 “My name is Jen Leeflang.  I’m married to Pete, and mother of Nicholas (23), Blayne (20) and Kellan (18).  I am a little ‘craft crazy’!

I majored in High School Art and Art History, and have always dabbled in one craft or another for as long as I can remember.  In 2007 I gave up my formal job as a PRO and Fundraiser for a school to be a stay at home mum while I homeschooled our two younger sons. 
Since December 2012, I am a freelance agent for an importer of paper crafts products, design digi stamps for a South African based online digi store, and also design, make, and bead costumes for bellydancers.

My first love certainly is card making, and using digital images which I colour using alcohol markers, whether they are Copics or Spectrum Noirs.  I love exploring new ways of using markers on card, new techniques and methods to portray light source, the effect of light on folds of clothing, and curls in hair. 

Working with the Rick St Dennis images is very rewarding for me.  As he is such a talented artist and uses small details such as the curl of a lip, the angle of a posed foot or the splayed fingers on a hand to portray particular emotions, I feel it is important for me to take those details to the next level by colouring in a way that echoes what the artist intended. 
The details on the images are tiny once the image is sized to fit onto a card.  While other card makers would find these very detailed images to difficult to colour, I love the challenge and will take quite a few hours just colouring until I feel that the shading is perfect and I am satisfied. 

What I love about Rick’s images is the expression on the faces he draws and even in a black and white line drawing, his talent is clear to see – I feel honoured to be entrusted to bring life to these masterpieces.
– Thank you – I hope I do them justice.


From the minute I first saw this beautiful image, I knew her dress had to be white, and that the background and embellishments of the card also needed to be white.
Here is a list of what I used:
CARDSTOCK
240gsm white
160gsm white

EMBOSSING FOLDERS
Couture Creations, “Royalty”
Docrafts papermania, “Brick Wall”

DIES
Marianne Design Creatables Die - Branch Garden LR0151
BUTTERFLY (Vivienne)  from Memory Box
Butterfly (Kaleidoscope) from Memory Box

PUNCHES
Upikit Large Flower Punch
Unmarked  small flower punch

ADHESIVES
Doubled Sided Foam Tape (Unmarked Pack) Available from Blueberry Bear
Monkey Glue by Heritage crafts

FLATBACK PEARLS
3 sizes – BLUEBERRY BEAR
OTHER
Lacy plastic sticky tape  - similar to washi but this one has lacy holes in it (no brand name – available from Everlasting Products, Durban)
Ribbon – from my stash (I buy it on rolls of 25m at a time)”

We will all tell you, Jen, that you did do this image justice. Her hair is so beautiful!  You created an amazing card. Your coloring and the layout is perfect. Thanks so much for introducing KAUALANI to us all. You can find Kaualani in Rick's shop, along with many other beautiful images.


Take a moment to visit Jen's blog and leave some comments. I am sure she would love to hear from you.

Jen, and many other people, post their projects in our Facebook group and Paper CraftPlanet group. We hope to see you there.

Thanks for stopping by!
The Sparkle and Glitter Design Team

5 comments:

monique said...

Wow Jen you did an amazing job coloring

Gorgeous!!!

Love crafts forever said...

Jane, your card is stunning. And i think we all little crazy about craft, lol, that is why we stack together. Nice to have you here.
Hugs Nataliya

Miranda said...

gorgeous card Jen, adorable

Rick St. Dennis said...

You were certainly right on the white dress-as difficult as it makes this image to use it is the first direction I would go in colouring it-you did a super job-Thanks so much.

scrapclose2theheart said...

I was going to say Jen that if you say you craft, crazy is just a given! :) We are all crazy about our art I think. I don't know anyone who just goes into crafting a little. You either are crazy for it or don't do it! :) You are such a great artist that I have admired from my first introduction to your work! Kudos.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...