Followers

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

A Great Hat ~ Mixed Media Altered book


Hi everyone! It's Bonnie and I am thrilled to bits to be here today for my very first post as part of  Rick's EDT. I am still pinching myself at my luck. I am absolutely smitten with Rick's images and the Hat ladies seem to hold a special place in my imagination. I decided to mark my debut with a mixed media spread featuring 1911 Stroller in the French Style which can be found in both Rick's Zibbet and Etsy shops. I love altering children's board books so that the entire book follows one theme, in this case Women's Hats.


I coloured the beautiful image with layers of Prismacolor pencils, using 3 to 4 colours for each hue. I usually have the main colour, a lighter colour or white, and two darker colours that can act as shading. Once she was coloured, and her glasses were given a coat of Glossy Accents, she was fussy cut, matted in black cardstock, and fussy cut again. She was then backed with foam tape and asked to wait patiently until the background could be completed.


The background of my mixed media pieces is ceated with many layers of colour, paper, stencilling, and stamping. The spread began as a gessoed background to which Neocolor II water colour crayon was added. A layer of tissue wrap, two patterned designer papers, and a whole lot of stencilling with gesso and Archival inks built up the layers. Lace, remnant rubs, pearls, and doodling created the elegant background with a French flair that I was looking for.


Each spread in this book will feature a different Rick St. Dennis image accompanied by an appropriate sentiment or quote. This one was computer generated, matted in black, faux stitched, and popped up on foam to create dimension. The lettering for "Un Chapeau (a hat)" is done in glittery stickers.

Thanks for visiting today. I hope you were inspired to check out the rest of Rick's amazing hat ladies. They really spark my creativity. Love using digital images in mixed media art!

For more inspiration using Rick's fabulous images, fun challenges, and some wonderful sharing of projects and knowledge, come and visit:

our Facebook group
our Airless Chambers blog
our Rick St Dennis Gallerie
our Tuts and Comments blog

Hope to see you there.
Bonnie

7 comments:

applejack cards by sue said...

Hey Bonny, you've certainly hit the ground running. This is an amazing project, really well made. I am looking forward to seeing the rest of your pages.

Croms' Cubby Hole said...

stunning!! welcome to the team xx

Aletha J. Williams said...

Stunning work, Bonnie! I can look at your mixed-media all day. So glad you like Rick's Hat Ladies! Can't wait to see more!

Rick St. Dennis said...

lovely bonnie

Monique Van dijk said...

looks great!!

Granmargaret said...

Lovely work

~Lady B~ said...

Gorgeous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...